- What will be studied by the students pursuing degree of English for Professionals (EfP) in School of Languages, Literacies and Translation (PPBLT)?
English for Professionals is a 3-year degree course and students will need to accumulate a total of 125 units in order to graduate which are inclusive of Core (T), Minor (M), University (U) and Elective (E) courses. The only major course in PPBLT is English for Professionals, however, students are allowed to minor in any of the courses as they wish from the schools below beginning from Year 2 Semester I, namely:
- School of The Arts
- School of Biology
- School of Chemistry
- School of Communication
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Educational Studies
- School of Housing, Building and Planning
- School of Humanities
- School of Industrial Technology
- School of Management
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Physics
- School of Social Sciences
Other than that, students can even choose to minor in PPBLT itself by pursuing the following foreign language courses such as Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, German, Japanese, Korean, French, Thai and Tamil.
- Is it necessary/compulsory to buy textbooks?
Students do not have to buy textbooks for most of the courses available in English for Professionals (EfP). Lecturers will provide slides for your perusal. Nevertheless, for language courses like Malay and English languages, textbook would be a need when attending lectures.
- Do students have to go for internship programme?
Yes indeed. It is compulsory for students to go for internship programme at the end of Year 2 Semester II after finishing examinations in order to gain real life working experience.
- What is the proper attire for attending lectures or tutorial classes?
It is necessary for students to wear long pants and covered shoes when attending classes. The school does accept students wearing round-neck shirts as well. On the other hand, it is not necessary for students to wear formal attire except during presentation for tutorial class.
- How do students register for courses in the first semester?
Students will need to fill in the application form manually and register the courses during the official period of Online Course Registration (OCR) in school. Each student will be assigned an Academic Advisor (AA) to further clarify your doubts regarding the courses.
- Are the papers of English for Professionals (EfP) easy to be scored well?
Students can in fact score well by putting in time and effort as most of the papers are not hard to be understood and the lecturers will always try their utmost to help the students.
- Is it compulsory for students to take part in co-curricular activities?
Nope, the school does not make it compulsory for the students of PPBLT to join co-curricular activities even though in Year 1 Semester I it is stated that students will need to gain one unit by joining co-curricular activities. All in all, it is optional.
- How do students get accessed to Internet?
Students will get to connect to USM network within the compound of USM by using their own IDs which will be given during orientation week. Nonetheless, it is to be noted that the speed of connection is not guaranteed and will be diverse at different places in the school.
- What are the job prospects or career opportunities after graduating?
Students can involve themselves in a variety of careers by pursuing degree in English for Professionals (EfP), namely:
- Broadcasting and Journalism
- Editing and publishing
- Tourism and hospitality
- Advertising and marketing
- English language teaching and learning
- Further academic study
For further information, kindly refer to the following official website of PPBLT: