- Where is School of the Arts?
Located just beside Restoran Nasi Kandar Subaidah and in front of Dewan Budaya (Cultural Hall), it is considered the most strategic location ever!
*Blue location: Place where you will have your orientation.
*Red location: It’s where School of the Arts located!
- Where is the main office for art school located?
Adiwarna Gallery – The main door at the entrance of art school.
- Is art school big and nice?
Comfortable for all of us.
- Are there any food stalls/cafes around School of the Arts?
NASI KANDAR SUBAIDAH, just located right beside the school with friendly mamaks!
- Do we have vending machines in the school?
- How can I get to school?
Take bus C or AC and get ready to drop off when you see Subaidah.
- Is our school far away from hostels?
RAPID USM kan ada.
- How about our dress code?
Jeans, T-shirt, as long as it is decent. Presentations mostly formal.
- Can I wear slippers to art school/class?
Depends but not recommended as you’ll need to wear covered shoes for heavyworks in studio.
- Any art shops in/around USM?
You can get basic stationaries at COOP (same block as Subaidah). MIRACLE (just opposite Sg. Dua’s gate) & DURIEMAS (in front of McDonalds Sg Dua) are just nearby!
- Any other bigger art shop in Penang?
NANYANG Art Materials located in Georgetown.
- Do we need to spend huge sum of money for art courses?
- Any nearby ATMs?
The nearest will be BSN, just opposite the school, behind Dewan Budaya.
- I’m taking Fine Art, but I don’t know how to draw portraits. How?
Don’t worry, it’s not just about portraits.
- I’m taking Graphic/Product Design/New Media, but I don’t know how to use the softwares.
No worries! That is why you are here.
- Are all the studios open for 24 hours?
- Can we go to school at night?
YES, it is open 24 hours for you, but do be aware of your belongings.
- Can I go to school during weekends when there is no class?
- Do we need to bring any art materials like watercolor, drawing blocks etc?
Bring whatever art materials you have, you will need it.
- I don’t know what art materials I should prepare.
Don’t worry! Your lecturer will tell you everything you need.
- What brand of laptops should I buy?
Affordable, you may refer to each course’s requirements.
- Can we bring laptop during lecture?
But don’t use if there’s no need for it.
- Are computer labs available at School of the Arts?
- I’m taking Music, do I need to bring my own musical instruments?
At your own will if you would like to major in other instruments other than piano.
- Does School of the Arts provide practice room for music students? What is the time for practices?
- What will I learn first in Music Department?
Usually first year students will need to attend keyboard class for 2 semesters.
- I’m taking Acting & Directing, but I have no experiences.
We’re here to learn.
- Does the school provide theatre for Acting & Directing students?
Yes, it is called Panggung Pelenggang Cahaya.
- I was a Science student before this, I am afraid I cannot cope.
It’s all about discovering new things.
- I am previously a Diploma student, can I transfer credits?
Check with each course’s requirements.
- I don’t think this course is suitable for me, can I change course?
You may, but it is not recommended.
- Does our school have their own art galleries?
- Is it true that every art course has its own studio? How big is the studio?
- Do we have bathrooms & air-cond in the school?
- Do we have security guards in art school?
We are the ‘JAGA’.
- Are art students really busy?
You will know later.
- Do art students normally sleep late? At what time do art students normally sleep?
We don’t know when we sleep and wake up.
- Can I sleep in the studio?
- Which art course is the busiest?
No specific. SAME.
- Heard rumours that there are ghosts lingering around School of the Arts?
We are the ghosts.
- Who is DEKAN/DEAN?
Big Boss in each school/faculty in IPTA. Like Principal.
- Who will be my lecturers?
Be patient. May refer art.usm.my.
- Are the lecturers aggressive?
They are kind enough. You’ll be friends with them in no time!
- Can we skip lecture?
But YES, with reasonable reason.
- When will we start the classes in School of the Arts?
After the orientation week.
- Will I have chance to be in the same class with the students from other art courses?
Mostly in your 1st year.
- Why can I see seniors attending the same class with us (juniors)?
Because they are taking minor/elective subjects etc.
- Do we have foreign lecturers in art school?
- Do we have due dates for the assignments/projects? Are the assignments given a lot?
No assignments are without due dates. Depends, but YES, normally.
- Is it true that 60% coursework and 40% exam for art courses?
Some subjects are 100% coursework, some are 100% theory.
- Is it hard to score for art courses?
No pain, no gain.
- Can I take minors from other departments/schools?
- Are the lectures in English or Malay Language?
Depending on the subjects.
- Is it a must to join co-curricular activities?
It is not compulsory but why not?! 😉 It’s a golden chance for you to explore and learn more new things!
- Any clubs under School of the Arts?
Graphic Communication Design Club (GCDC) which is open to all students.
- Can we join any competitions? How to know about the competitions held?
Just be alert on the school’s notice board to keep updated with latest competitions!
- How long is the internship period? When can I go for internship?
Depends on each course. For design courses it’s 6 months (Effective 2014/2015) and during the 6th
- Can I continue my semester overseas?
YES! USM has various partner universities worldwide for you to choose from.
- What are our job prospects?
From Exhibition Designer to Film/TV Director, there are numerous job prospects! Refer to art.usm.my for more info.
- What is RINTIS?
RINTIS stands for ‘Research and Innovation Towards Integration and Sustainability’. It is an annual exhibition hosted by the school to showcase final year students’ artwork.
- What is FYP?
FinalYear Project for final year student.
Welcome to School of the Arts!