- Where is School of the Arts?
Located just beside Restoran Nasi Kandar Subaidah and in front of Dewan Budaya (Cultural Hall), it is considered the most strategic location ever!
*Blue location: Place where you will have your orientation.
*Red location: It’s where School of the Arts located!
- Where is the main office for art school located?
Adiwarna Gallery – The main door at the entrance of art school.
- Is art school big and nice?
Comfortable for all of us.
- Are there any food stalls/cafes around School of the Arts?
NASI KANDAR SUBAIDAH, just located right beside the school with friendly mamaks!
- Do we have vending machines in the school?
- How can I get to school?
Take bus C or AC and get ready to drop off when you see Subaidah.
- Is our school far away from hostels?
RAPID USM kan ada.
- How about our dress code?
Jeans, T-shirt, as long as it is decent. Presentations mostly formal.
- Can I wear slippers to art school/class?
Depends but not recommended as you’ll need to wear covered shoes for heavyworks in studio.
- Any art shops in/around USM?
You can get basic stationaries at COOP (same block as Subaidah). MIRACLE (just opposite Sg. Dua’s gate) & DURIEMAS (in front of McDonalds Sg Dua) are just nearby!
- Any other bigger art shop in Penang?
NANYANG Art Materials located in Georgetown.
- Do we need to spend huge sum of money for art courses?
- Any nearby ATMs?
The nearest will be BSN, just opposite the school, behind Dewan Budaya.
- I’m taking Fine Art, but I don’t know how to draw portraits. How?
Don’t worry, it’s not just about portraits.
- I’m taking Graphic/Product Design/New Media, but I don’t know how to use the softwares.
No worries! That is why you are here.
- Are all the studios open for 24 hours?
- Can we go to school at night?
YES, it is open 24 hours for you, but do be aware of your belongings.
- Can I go to school during weekends when there is no class?
- Do we need to bring any art materials like watercolor, drawing blocks etc?
Bring whatever art materials you have, you will need it.
- I don’t know what art materials I should prepare.
Don’t worry! Your lecturer will tell you everything you need.
- What brand of laptops should I buy?
Affordable, you may refer to each course’s requirements.
- Can we bring laptop during lecture?
But don’t use if there’s no need for it.
- Are computer labs available at School of the Arts?
- I’m taking Music, do I need to bring my own musical instruments?
At your own will if you would like to major in other instruments other than piano.
- Does School of the Arts provide practice room for music students? What is the time for practices?
- What will I learn first in Music Department?
Usually first year students will need to attend keyboard class for 2 semesters.
- I’m taking Acting & Directing, but I have no experiences.
We’re here to learn.
- Does the school provide theatre for Acting & Directing students?
Yes, it is called Panggung Pelenggang Cahaya.
- I was a Science student before this, I am afraid I cannot cope.
It’s all about discovering new things.
- I am previously a Diploma student, can I transfer credits?
Check with each course’s requirements.
- I don’t think this course is suitable for me, can I change course?
You may, but it is not recommended.
- Does our school have their own art galleries?
- Is it true that every art course has its own studio? How big is the studio?
- Do we have bathrooms & air-cond in the school?
- Do we have security guards in art school?
We are the ‘JAGA’.
- Are art students really busy?
You will know later.
- Do art students normally sleep late? At what time do art students normally sleep?
We don’t know when we sleep and wake up.
- Can I sleep in the studio?
- Which art course is the busiest?
No specific. SAME.
- Heard rumours that there are ghosts lingering around School of the Arts?
We are the ghosts.
- Who is DEKAN/DEAN?
Big Boss in each school/faculty in IPTA. Like Principal.
- Who will be my lecturers?
Be patient. May refer art.usm.my.
- Are the lecturers aggressive?
They are kind enough. You’ll be friends with them in no time!
- Can we skip lecture?
But YES, with reasonable reason.
- When will we start the classes in School of the Arts?
After the orientation week.
- Will I have chance to be in the same class with the students from other art courses?
Mostly in your 1st year.
- Why can I see seniors attending the same class with us (juniors)?
Because they are taking minor/elective subjects etc.
- Do we have foreign lecturers in art school?
- Do we have due dates for the assignments/projects? Are the assignments given a lot?
No assignments are without due dates. Depends, but YES, normally.
- Is it true that 60% coursework and 40% exam for art courses?
Some subjects are 100% coursework, some are 100% theory.
- Is it hard to score for art courses?
No pain, no gain.
- Can I take minors from other departments/schools?
- Are the lectures in English or Malay Language?
Depending on the subjects.
- Is it a must to join co-curricular activities?
It is not compulsory but why not?! 😉 It’s a golden chance for you to explore and learn more new things!
- Any clubs under School of the Arts?
Graphic Communication Design Club (GCDC) which is open to all students.
- Can we join any competitions? How to know about the competitions held?
Just be alert on the school’s notice board to keep updated with latest competitions!
- How long is the internship period? When can I go for internship?
Depends on each course. For design courses it’s 6 months (Effective 2014/2015) and during the 6th
- Can I continue my semester overseas?
YES! USM has various partner universities worldwide for you to choose from.
- What are our job prospects?
From Exhibition Designer to Film/TV Director, there are numerous job prospects! Refer to art.usm.my for more info.
- What is RINTIS?
RINTIS stands for ‘Research and Innovation Towards Integration and Sustainability’. It is an annual exhibition hosted by the school to showcase final year students’ artwork.
- What is FYP?
FinalYear Project for final year student.
- I am not a music students, can I use their practice room?
Sure. But we need to give the priority for music students.
- Which language will be using for Music Theory and other music courses?
- I am a performing in arts student, is that I have any chance to perform on stage?Sure. That’s why you come here.
- Is that any music technology course provided for art students
Sure. You can take Music Technology as a minor subject.
- Can I know more information about Acting and Directing courses?
Performing art, also known as drama and theatre, we learnt about how to act and direct an theatre and some basic stage knowledge such as lighting, sound, stage business, how to analyse script, writing plot, constume and so on.
- Is it practical more than theory for Acting and Directing course?
Actually we need to learn for theory and assignment also. Once we need to do for a production, we need to spend time to do a practice and prepare for our show well. Otherwise, practical are important for us too. In first year, we will learn fundamentals of acting and directing, bangsawan and so on.
- Is that study for Acting and Directing can get job after graduate?
Of course. You can get job in performing art as career or become the member of a production team. You can be an actor, director, production manager, stage manager, event manager, lighting designer, costume designer and so on!
- I am a full time Music Student. Can I be a part time music teacher at outside USM?
Sure you can. It depends on your time management.
Welcome to School of the Arts!