These are the frequently asked questions:
- What will I study in Computer Science?
- In the first year, students are taught the basics of CS such as computer organisation, algorithms and problem solving, programming techniques using C++ and etc.
CS students are required to choose a specialisation (major) in the 2nd semester of the first year and begin their specialisation in the 2nd semester of the second year. There are 6 specialisations:
- Information Systems Engineering
- Multimedia Computing
- Distributed Systems & Security
- Network Computing
- Software Engineering
- Intelligent Systems
CS students also must choose either Minor or Elective programme.
Under computer science with minor programme, students choose and begin one minor area offered by other school in the 2nd semester of first year. CS students with elective programmme will choose several elective courses to widen their specialisation area and their knowledge in computer science.
For the details, you will know in time.
- What is the best specialisation and minor?
There are no best specialisation or minor. Remember, all roads lead to Rome.
- What language will be conducted for CS?
English will be used as medium of language. However, for University courses, Bahasa Malaysia will be used.
- Any specialised place for CS students to study, doing assignments?
Yes, five CS Labs at School of CS third floor.
- What’s the opening time of CS Lab?
Weekdays: 8am to 10pm
Weekends: 8am to 7pm
Subject to changes*
- Any food stalls nearby School of CS?
Kafeteria Fajar Harapan, just opposite of the school. Or you may walk to outside using Sungai Dua Gate, food paradise is just out there.
- Any specification requirement for the laptop?
No, just make sure it’s not too old.
- I have no foundation in programming, computer science, how should I do?
Many seniors do not have it too, believe it or not, we walked through these, and still kicking. Don’t worry.
- CS hard to score?
No pain no gain.
- What kind of lecturer will I meet?
No worries, CS lecturers are nice + friendly, given that you don’t step on their toes.
- Can we skip the lectures?
No, you better not. First time skipping, the next lecture you will think that lecturer speaking German to you; second time you did, the lecturer speaks ALIENS.
- Where is School of CS? And where’s the main office?
- School of Computer Sciences is from third to seventh floor of the building. For ground floor to second floor, that is School of Mathematical Sciences. School of Computer Sciences’ Main office is at seventh floor.
- Do we need to buy textbooks?
It depends. Textbooks will be recommended by the lecturers as additional references. You can get the textbooks from seniors. You might download ebook from internet for free as well. Lecturers use slides to teach most of the times. They will upload it to the e-learn website of USM and students can download the lecture notes from there.
- Are the assignments given a lot?
- Do we have to bring laptop all the time?
It depends. You can choose to use the computer provided in the lab or use your own laptop.
- What is the attire for attending lectures and tutorial classes?
T-shirt and long pants will do, as long as it is decent.
- Do we need to do internship?
During the second semester and the long vacation of the third year, you will be assigned to various organisations for industrial training for a period of six months.
- Any club under School of CS?
All CS students are automatically registered as members of Computer Science Society.
- I don’t need to join any co-curricular activities, do I?
Yes, you don’t have to, but you might need them to get the units (3 units) for graduation, moreover, joining societies and clubs and their activities gain you myCSD, which is important to secure a hostel room. Joining or not, that is for you to decide.